In my profile I said that I teach first grade ESL. While that is true, I also teach 6th grade. I service a 6th grade 6-1-1 twice a day. In this particular classroom there are only three students and I've been working with them since November. Today one was absent.
The past few days have seemed very futile. At times I feel like I've lost my touch. My students aren't responding the way I want them to or even how they used to. Today in 6th grade we were doing the research component of our unit. We developed our research questions on our chosen topics, and I sent them to the computers confident that they would be able to locate the information on websites and be able to transfer that information to a word document. We've only done this a million times this year! By the end of the lesson I thought I was going to loose my mind. Both of them whined and complained about every step of the process, refused to paraphrase, only copied directly from the websites, and yelled at me when they made mistakes on their documents. For today I'm just going to chalk that up to having a four day weekend and it being the end of the school year and the fact that I wasn't as explicit in my directions. I forget that certain scaffolds need always to be in place (like giving instructions) for these kids to function.
No comments:
Post a Comment